Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Inviting All To Come Unto Christ

As a missionary I'm asked frequently why I decided to leave home for two years to become a missionary. This video is a perfect answer and explanation for my decision, watch it!
This story reminds me a lot of the Tree of Life vision that Lehi has in (1 Nephi chapter 8). As Lehi goes forth and partakes of the fruit he says "And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit." (1 Nephi 8:12) This fruit that Lehi partakes of is symbolic of the gospel of Jesus Christ or the Atonement, which was the fruit, or action, of our Savior. Once Lehi is filled with the joy that was found in the fruit, he instantly wants to share it with the rest of his family! He knew that he had the most precious fruit so why would he not want to share that with those that he loves? 

This is the same reason that we as missionaries choose to set aside our lives to share the gospel with all the world. After experiencing the joy and happiness that comes from exercising the power of the atonement and after being filled with comfort from the sweet promises and knowledge that His restored gospel brings, I would be tremendously selfish if I did not do everything in my power to spread that knowledge. That's why I'm here, to testify that Jesus is the Christ and that Joseph Smith was His prophet who was called to restore the fulness of our Savior's gospel to the earth once more. To invite others to partake of this fruit and come unto Christ, our Savior and Redeemer.

2 comments:

  1. This was such a great help to me as I was writing my talk! Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You brought the gospel into my life. You showed me how much he loved me and how he can fill my life with joy and comfort through the atonement. For that, I am forever grateful. You and heavenly father make a pretty good team, if you ask me:)
    Julie Bean

    ReplyDelete